Sunday, January 18, 2015

2015 Adventure has begun

My 2015 Adventure has begun


I am back on the island of Caye Caulker, off the coast of Belize



...staying at P.A.W. Animal Sanctuary with Madi, the owner, for my 5th year   :)


6 Jan -- I got out of Kalamazoo with a little less difficulty than last year, thankfully.     I had a delay leaving Kalamazoo, but ran to my connection in Chic, and arrived in Miami around 8pm; my luggage, however, was not as fast as i was.   I eventually collected my luggage and tried to recheck it to Belize, but i was told it wasn't possible; for the same reason? it could not be checked all the way through to Belize from Kalamazoo.  So i found a somewhat comfortable seat to spend the night.    around Midnight, i overheard something about the Auditorium on the 4th Floor.   Making my way there, this is what i found!

Nice surprise, compliments of American Airlines and Miami Airport  :)   I found my cot and tried to get some sleep.     although they gave us a pillow and blanket, and, i had a blanket of my own; i was still very cold for the 4 hours i tried to sleep.    Up at 4am and checked my luggage to Belize, wandered around the airport until the restaurants opened at 7am.   my original plan was to have a nice dinner last night, but since i had to collected my luggage, that became impossible.   so, i had a nice breakfast instead, Eggs Benedict a la Miami, with pineapple and mango salsa...and a Bloody Mary  :)



i arrived in Belize City on schedule, unfortunately, my luggage again was no where to be found.   They were able to track it with the luggage ticket (i actually had it) ... it was STILL sitting in Miami ... another flight had left for Belize and it wasn't on that flight either.   There may be something to be said about checking in TOO early  :(

Madi surprised me and met me at the Airport, it was good to visit and catch up with her on the taxi and water taxi rides out to Caye Caulker, before we arrived at all the 'craziness'.

my luggage was supposed to arrive the next day, but it took another day for some reason.    all of the traveling that i've done, and i don't recall having my luggage not arrive with me.   so i can't complain, and am VERY thankful that it did arrive.

it's hard to believe that i've been here 10 days already and am just starting my Blog ... :(

you might recall that last year while i was here, Madi was having major renovations ... adding a 10-bed dorm and small kitchen, where she and her mom used to live upstairs.    the 10-bed dorm, called the Sunshine Dorm, is now open and we're almost full every night.   She also has 3-bed and 4-bed Cabanas; and a small apartment with a kitchenette.    needless to say it is a LOT more work.   when i arrived she had 2 volunteers, 1 has left and another has arrived, but will be leaving soon.  

i've been doing my normal 'maintenance duties' around the cattery.   let's see, what have i accomplished?

--fixed 2 leaking toilets
--installed a magnetic latch on a door
--designed 4 toilet paper holders out of PVC pipe and a brace (regular ones are $$$)


--painted and installed braces to keep the doors closed (to keep the cats out)

--painted the small hanging shelf and hung a container for soap dispenser, to keep them from falling on the ground

--designed a type of 'splash-board' for the kitchen sink, another hanging soap dispenser, and a wire towel 'bar'

--installed hooks to hang pots and pans in the kitchen

--painting signs for 'trash' ... in English AND Spanish !


--fixed a light pull-chain that broke ... with DENTAL FLOSS !

--installed a light (definitely not up to code), so the stairs were not in total darkness  :)


i know this doesn't sound like a lot ... but everything takes longer here:  from deciding WHAT can be done cheaply; going from store to store attempting to find what i want; trying to find the tools i need in this disorganization;   (organizing this will be one of my projects!)
connecting and disconnecting extension cords from place to place from limited outlets; picking up and running when a downpour develops out of no-where; answering questions from guests; getting new 'requests' from Madi  :)

all in all ... i LOVE it !








1 comment:

  1. Seems I have to log in so now must type the comment again.....
    I was saying that I think it is pretty ingenious of you to figure out how to repair stuff on a shoe string budget. Now you can come to SA (Willowmore) and help Elize and I do the same! ;-)

    ReplyDelete