Sunday, March 17, 2024

Goodbye VietNam - Hello Cambodia -- Siem Reap 9-10 March

Let's check out the map again.

We left Nah Trang, VietNam, and flew through Hanoi, to Siem Reap, Cambodia.  

 

It was an hour drive from the Airport to the Hotel.   So we checked into the Golden Banana Hotel around 6pm.   They showed us to our rooms.    Sylvia and I were disappointed with our room.   Actually, it was the kind of room that I normally stay in.   But, since we started on this Adventure ... we've gotten spoiled.   We have had amazing hotels/rooms; at least 3 steps up from what I'm accustomed to.    So, this was a let down.  We went to sleep and worked on changing rooms in the morning after breakfast.    They eventually put us in a 'nicer' room, but still not what we've been used to.   :(

I should mention here, that the currency in Cambodia is the Rial, (KHR), however, they almost exclusively use the US Dollar... but sometimes the Riel.  The ATM gave you a choice.   A restaurant was recommended to us and we easily walked there.   WoW ... we were in for a surprise !    Check out these prices, ....in US Dollars !


and food too.     We were sure we were in Utopia !


The next day we 'hung out'.   They had a pool, but damn, it was way too hot for me to sit down there.   I retreated to our air conditioned room.

The next morning we got in a 'Tricycle Buggy' and were taken to Angkor Wat.    On the way, as we drove down the street, we heard a very very loud noise.   Locust ?    It sounded like Locust to me ... but OMG, they were deafening, and they were all the way to the Temple, as well as around the Temple too.   I couldn't see any in the trees, but i'm sure that's where they were.   Not sure of the type of tree either.   I've done several google searches and have come up with nothing  :(    I asked an Officer at Angkor Wat and i don't think i got my question across.

Angkor Wat:       That is why we we're here.   It was very hot and very humid.   And because we were visiting a 'Temple', we had to have our shoulders covered (and a sarong thrown over them was not acceptable).   And our knees had to be covered also.   My body could not breathe !    ...and i looked like a 'dork'.


But since it's not about me ....  back Angkor Wat.  Angkor Wat is a Hindu-Buddhist temple complex in Cambodia, located on a site measuring 400 acres.  Guinness World Records considers it as the largest religious structure in the world.  It took place over 28 yrs from 1122-1150 CE, during the reign of King Suryavarman II.

The temple was effectively rediscovered by the French in 1860, and was described "grander than anything left to us by Greece or Rome".    There were no ordinary dwellings/houses or other signs of settlement, including cooking utensils, weapons, or items of clothing usually found at ancient sites.  

Cambodia gained independence from France on 9 November 1953, and has controlled Angkor Wat since then.   The site was nominated a UNESCO World Heritage in 1992.   Far more damage was done after the wars, by art thieves working out of Thailand, which, in the late 1980s and early 1990s, claimed almost every head that could be lopped off the structures, including reconstructions.

In 2015 additional research found evidence of low-density residential occupation in the region, with a road grid, ponds, and mounds.  These indicate that the temple precinct, bounded by a moat and wall, may not have been used exclusively by the priestly elite, as was previously thought. 

And that's what I found on line.   Here are some photos.   It was sunny, and the buildings are all dark, so it was difficult to get good photos.  The long walk to the entrance.


Inside there were a lot of long hall ways


 

Out in one of the courtyards.   The little window at the top is where you get to



Once you've climbed these stairs !   Not very long, but very steep !

These are the original stairs, well worn.   Not allowed to use these.

 

View from the top out that little window


 

There were a few Temples within.

 

All the walls were decoratively 'stamped'

These 'women' were featured often.


It was an amazing place, sorry that i can't give any more info.

We meandered to the Reflection Pond


 

 


When we finished we sat and tried to cool off with a beverage.   At this point I realized I didn't have my small backpack.   I walked back a way (in the heat), but didn't find it.   I didn't think there was much in there.   I had all valuables on my waist pack.   Then I remembered that my iPod ear buds.   My Friends encouraged me to try to find it.   Butch walked back to the entrance where we reported it missing.   After a description and a few minutes ... they had it.    It was another long hot walk back almost into the Angkor Wat building.   There was a little camp set up for the 'officials'.   We had to wait for THE guy, because he was napping and had to get dressed.  He came out in his official shirt, tie, and metals, ... and paperwork.   He needed everything from me on the form, including my Passport, and a description of what was in there.  FINALLY, they came out with it, and they took everything out and took photos of it, and the bag, and of Him handing the bag over to me !    I understand they had to do that ... but ...    Anyway I was happy to have my bag back.

Our tour included 2 other sites of Angkor Wat.   By that time, we were all hot and tired, and opted to skip the #2 site, and just go to the #3 site.    Which is the one that was in the Movie, Tomb Raider with Laura Croft.   I didn't know anything about the movie.   But I was so happy that we did that one.   It is called 'Ta Prohm"  

Ta Prohm was constructed in the late 12th to early 13th centuries. It is one of the most popular complexes in the Angkor Archaeological Park due to the fact that it is literally being consumed by the surrounding jungle.  Strangler figs are wrapping their massive roots around these buildings which creates a setting unlike anything you’ve ever seen before.

I really liked this one, way more than the other more famous one.   It just seemed more personal.   And... the Strangler Trees were jaw-dropping.


Look at those roots !



 

It's in need of repair, and they are working on it.  



This tells about the time and dedication it takes to restore these, beginning in 1980.



I like all the long halls and doorways !


Way up in a couple trees I saw gigantic bees nests.    I confirmed this suspicion with the Guide.

 

It was a hot, humid, long, interesting day.


Our last night in Siem Reap we ventured back to the town and discovered 'Pub Street'.   More touristy, and the prices showed it  :(



A stroll through the market we found these people who were making art from leather.  Very intricate designs.



The next day we hired a car to take us to Phnmon Pen.




No comments:

Post a Comment